Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Announcement!

Dr. Tim Gardner has graciously offered to participate in some online discussions here regarding sexuality. Readers may remember that several students in my class offered their own review (of the first half) of his book Sacred Sex in a previous post.

I am especially encouraging my Human Sexuality students to engage in some dialogue with Dr. Gardner, but I invite others to join in our discussions, too. And while one of our goals will be to discuss Sacred Sex in particular, Dr. Gardner has also agreed to tackle other, more general questions related to marriage and sex.

For those of you unfamiliar, Dr. Gardner is a Christian speaker, educator, author, and counselor with over 20 years of experience in the areas of marriage and family. You can find some of his current work and interests at
Marriage@Work.

In my first post next week, I will try to summarize Dr. Gardner’s key idea behind Sacred Sex. Then I will recap some questions and concerns my students and readers have had with his view on singleness. Since this seems to have been a major point of interest (both in class and on my blog), we will devote the first post to that subject. I will make another post soon after to offer a few other questions to Dr. Gardner. Our hope is that these questions will be a springboard for discussion and that my students and readers will jump in to continue the dialogue in whatever direction seems helpful. If all goes well, we will repeat the process again in a few weeks after my students have read and reviewed the second half of Sacred Sex.

Please join us next week for what should be a lively and encouraging discussion!

1 comment:

Henry said...

Okay, I'll go first then! :)

I sometimes hear youth leaders speak of "second virginity," a restoration of biblical purity for young people who have already been sexually active. Personally, I find this concept to be a red herring--either one is a virgin or not--that detracts from the seriousness of premarital sex. I believe that purity can and should be regained and maintained after the loss of virginity, but the concept of "second virginity" is a cop-out. What are your thoughts on "second viriginity"?