Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Authentic Sexuality, part 2

In my last post on Authentic Sexuality, I pondered the uneasiness we feel at the spiritual-sexual connection. I suggested that some of the OT references to God’s relationship to His people and some NT reference to Jesus’ relationship to His church have some sexual overtones. Yet this makes us uncomfortable. (And part of me cringes even as I type it again.)

A colleague reminded me yesterday of the potential abuses in overemphasizing this connection. There is a real danger here, but I think only if we allow sexuality to determine our spirituality. More to the point, great sin and perversion can result when we allow our sexuality to dictate our theology, rather than the other way around.

Consider the example of “The Children of God” (later known as “The Family of Love” and now as “The Family International”). Their
official website appears rather normal and on the surface this group maintains some conservative, fundamentalist Christian beliefs. But they are accurately labeled a cult. Follow this link and this link for a full description, but here are some highlights:

- Their “law of Love” supersedes all other Biblical laws. If an act is unselfish and loving, it is good and acceptable to God. This includes all sexual behaviors and relationships except homosexuality (which is still a sin).
- They encouraged “flirty fishing.” This was the purposeful use of sex as a means of evangelism. Many women were even encouraged to engage in prostitution in order to win souls for Jesus.
- Adult members are allowed to have sex with any other member. In fact, they are encouraged to do so (regardless of marital status) in order to “foster unity” among the members.
- As early as 16, teenagers are encouraged to have sex with other members under 21.
- Since Christians are the bride of Christ, members are taught to imagine that Jesus is having sex with them as they engage in various sexual activities.


So should we be cautious in connecting spirituality and sexuality? To be sure. But when we allow Scripture to serve as our foundation and when we do good theology, there are great lessons to learn. Our spiritual relationships can inform us about our sexual relationships and our sexual relationships can inform us about our spiritual ones.

Another book we will be reading and discussing in class is “Sacred Sex” by Tim Alan Gardner and much of this book is devoted to this line of thinking. I may post some thoughts on the book later (after I have finished it), but for now I’m interested in your observations……

No comments: