Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Students as Consumers

I found an interesting blog entry not long ago about the consumer mentality of students. Dr. Monroe is at a Christian graduate school, and in his post he described a faculty meeting where some were lamenting the mindset of students who think and act as if their school exists to simply meet their needs – especially their needs for a degree and a job. Others in that meeting noted that schools do in fact have a responsibility to provide the best service and product possible.

You can
read the full post from Phil Monroe here if you’d like. Below is a substantial portion of the post – and I’ve highlighted what I think is the kicker. I offer it as food for thought for all of us as we start another semester.

So, here’s my question, can student as consumer also do a good job being student as disciple of Christ? Where’s the line between wise consumer and self-focused/demanding consumer?

This past month my credit card company submitted my check to them TWICE to my bank. That means they took a significant amount of money out of my checking account without my consent–and it could have caused other checks to bounce. I was not happy. Calls to the bank quickly resulted in our getting back what was rightfully mine. I was not happy with the bank for letting it happen and I was not happy with the credit card company for making the mistake. I want them to know that I’m not happy and to assure me it will never happen again. Ultimately, I want them to make me happy all the time. I want them to never let me down. And if they do not make me happy? Then I’ll take my business elsewhere. Isn’t that how we approach most of our consuming? If my favorite restaurant stops pleasing me and treating me as a king, then I’m not likely to go back.

Do students bring this attitude into their education? I think so. I think I did as a student. I noted every failure of my profs. I rarely brought my concerns to them (for fear of looking petty) but more than once I’m sure I complained (shared my feelings) to my peers. Where does it lead us? Grumbling and complaining. Looking at the faults of others rather than our own. Defending rather than being appropriately self-critical. Not sure it is easy to be a disciple when I’m grumbling and complaining.

So, the challenge for students is to bring legitimate concerns and complaints to their professor’s attention, avoid gossip, and consider the formation opportunity in front of them (e.g., life when things don’t turn out as expected). And faculty/administration have the challenge before them to make sure they listen to said complaints, avoid defensiveness, repent where necessary, and pursue both their own and their student’s formative learning moments. Teachers and program administrators must remember that they too are disciples on the same journey as their pupils.

May we all pursue excellence as servants of the kingdom.

2 comments:

david b mclaughlin said...

Uh...don;t use credit cards.

:)

Anonymous said...

Good post. As a student I can see this attitude of the "consumer" in students and at times myself; I personally have considered this attitude just irresponsibility of students or students not wanting to grow up. Consider some of the common complaints that students make concering their professors, "That test was so hard. It wasn't fair" In reality the student didn't study. "I didn't know that was due, or I didn't know I had missed that in class" Really the student gets a syllabus and in college life we are responsible for knowing it and when we miss class it is our responsibility to find out anything we need to know.