Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Gettin' Arkansified

School is getting started again this week and I’m already feeling a bit overwhelmed. Some of that is due to the fact that I am teaching Human Sexuality for the first time this semester. I added it to our curriculum because I think it is a critically important topic today, especially for Christians. But I’ve now put myself in the position of having to speak openly (and sometimes explicitly) about all sorts of issues, activities, and body parts. That will be a bit awkward – I’ll keep you posted on how that goes.

In the meantime, I thought I should confess I’m getting a bit more Arkansified these days. In just the four days between Thursday and Sunday this past weekend, I’ve done all of the following:

Camped out in a cabin with no electricity and no water. (And enjoyed it.)
Went four-wheeling.
Climbed into a deer blind for the first time in my life.
Ate deer meat.
Fired a pistol for the first time.
Fired a rifle for just the third or fourth time.
Fished for some catfish.
Did some skeet shooting.
Went to my first Razorback basketball game.
Nearly had my legs chopped off by Chris Medenwald.

(OK. I’m not sure how “Arkansas” that last item is. But I had to include it in the list.)

I think the only thing left to do is pull a couple of teeth and get a tattoo. But in case you were wondering, I did NOT call the hogs at the ball game. I’m still holding out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that you've mentioned me by name on your blog in such a critical manner...are we now even?

Aaron New said...

Not even close.

Anonymous said...

This is Zeb. I am pumped about your sex class. I am prepared to have a permanent blush all semester.