Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Rules You Aren't Learning in School

Here’s an interesting list of rules for high school and college students. Part of the list was written by Charles Sykes over 13 years ago. But he has recently released a new book that modifies and adds to the list. Below is a mix of those two lists (until I can get my hands on the new book)

- Life is not fair; get used to it.

- The real world won't care as much as your school does about your self-esteem. It’ll expect you to accomplish something before you feel good about yourself.

- Sorry, you won’t make $60,000 a year right out of high school. And you won't be a vice president or have a company car. You may even have to wear a uniform that doesn’t have a designer label.

- Naked people look different in real life.

- If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss. He doesn't have tenure.

- Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping; they called it opportunity.

- If you screw up, it's not anyone else's fault. So don't whine about your mistakes. Learn from them.

- Your parents weren't as boring before you were born as they are now. They got that way by paying your bills, driving you around, saving for your education, cleaning your room, and listening to you tell how idealistic you are. So before you save the rain forest from the bloodsucking parasites of your parents' generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

- Your school may have done away with winners and losers but life has not. In some schools they have abolished failing grades, they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This, of course, bears not the slightest resemblance to anything in real life.

- Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off, and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

- Television is not real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

- Be nice to nerds. You may end up working for them. We all could.

- You are not immortal. If you are under the impression that living fast, dying young and leaving a beautiful corpse is romantic, you obviously haven't seen one of your peers at room temperature lately.

- Enjoy this while you can. Sure parents are a pain, school's a bother, and life is depressing. But someday you'll realize how wonderful it was to be a kid. Maybe you should start now. You're welcome.

5 comments:

Jenni said...

- Television is not real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Do reality shows count, too??

david b mclaughlin said...

oh come on, this isn't nearly as good as my book!

Unknown said...

AMEN to all of that!!!!! And while I believe that High School is NOT the best time of your life, it is surely the one with the least responsibility. and for some reason, that lack of responsibility has now followed most high school students to college.

Aaron New said...

David,

Dude, his book is clearly better than yours. He does have 50 rules after all. And you only have a wimpy 40 lessons.

I'd review your book, too. But I don't think my library can do an interlibrary loan for it.

Bryan Cox said...

Whats wrong with idealism? lol