Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Monday, January 28, 2008

Missing Books

Al Mohler blogged recently about the “Twilight of the Books.” I would encourage you to read all of his post for yourself. He describes the decline in interest and in time spent reading among all people. In many ways, our society has just given up on reading. We aren’t returning to a time of illiteracy, because many people can read and just don’t. We are rather returning to a time or orality – where information is passed not through written words but through spoken words. We are becoming viewers of information rather than readers of information, and we are becoming a society of people who can’t read critically.

Not buying it? Consider this… only 13% of Americans can take two contrasting newspaper editorials and come to a reasoned comparison.

I see this decline even in my own life. I enjoy reading and I have a growing list of books I would like to read someday. And yet, when I have time to read I instead spend it watching quality television (LOST, 24, and SportsCenter) and ridiculous television (American Idol, American Gladiators, and Biggest Loser) alike. I am jealous of my friend Chris who as part of his Ph.D. program in Leadership is required to read 15 great works of literature this semester. And yet nothing but my own laziness prevents me from reading just the same.

This trend could have significant implications. “A reader learns about the world and imagines it differently from the way a viewer does; according to some experimental psychologists, a reader and a viewer even think differently. If the eclipse of reading continues, the alteration is likely to matter in ways that aren't foreseeable.” Think of how education will be different as we confront students who don’t know how to read critically. Think of how politics will be different. Think of how church will be different. In fact, Mohler suggests that of all people, it is Christians who should lament the decline in reading most:

“For Christians, the concern must reach even deeper levels of concern. Christians are a ‘people of the Book.’ Our knowledge of God, the Gospel, and all things essential to our faith is found within a book, the written text of the Bible. Beyond this, while Christian witness is often oral in transmission, the survival of the church depends upon the availability of the Bible as the church's living witness to Jesus Christ. Put simply, Christians who are not deeply involved in a growing understanding of the Bible will find their faith fed, fueled, and formed by something other than the Bible.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it happening even in my own life that I have the need to always be plugged into something for entertainment... We have failed to let great forms of literature that can teach do that for us. That possibly could leave a more lasting impression. By the way I heard it said once that "Leaders are readers." That would give us a glimpse into the future if reading keeps falling as a priority in our lives. -Eric

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thoughtful post, Aaron. This trend scares me, largely because it is a symptom, in my opinion, of a larger problem: we have generations of Americans who haven't learned (perhaps haven't been taught) the value of solitary, quiet thinking. Society today revolves around entertainment and, as Pascal described it, diversions. Anything but to be left alone and quiet!!! Nintendos, TV, movies, Facebook, etc. when used in moderation are quite good. However, when used in excess, as they normally are today, they drain the life out of those addicted to them. "Time is the stuff life is made of."

david b mclaughlin said...

Hmmm, now if I only knew someone who had recently written a book I could recommend.....

Anonymous said...

a recent good book... that's a good idea.
so is the problem with the authors or with the readers?
Are the authors writing good material that we are just not smart enough to comprehend? or are there no more good authors our there?
would there be more good authors if there were more good readers?
I'm just rambling...but this is what came to mind.
~tara