Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Tired

Back during my Labor Day Q & A, Stephen asked what has changed the most as a result of my cancer and wondered what we might do better to minister to other families in similar situations.

(Stephen’s profile says he is a student in Afghanistan. I still can’t believe people actually READ my blog, let alone people in on the other side of the world. Whoa.)

This may not be the most comprehensive answer…. and it may seem trivial, actually… but doggone it – I’m tired. I’m weary, worn-out, fatigued, drained, and run-down. I’m pooped. (Brett, that last one was for you – and anyone else that giggles at the “p” word.)

This exhaustion comes in 2 main forms. First, there is just the sheer physical tiredness. I thought I was prepared for being a little worn down. And most days aren’t too troublesome. But after each round of chemotherapy, there are about 3-4 days of feeling an extreme tiredness. “Sleepy” isn’t the right word, though I do sleep a lot. This is body-dropping exhaustion. For example, I was discharged from the hospital Friday afternoon. I came home and slept from 4:00-6:00, was up for a couple of hours and them slept 12 hours straight from 8:00-8:00. After a couple hours, I took another 2 hour nap that morning, a nap that afternoon, and then went to bed at 9:00 that night.

It is now Sunday evening and I’m starting to feel better, but I’m beginning to hate the weariness. I told my son I couldn’t go to his first soccer game on Saturday morning and felt a little bit like a loser for doing so. I’m not doing much to help around the house and I didn’t go to church this morning – all because, well, I’m tired. Combine all that with a decrease in overall stamina for physical activities, and I start to feel like a weak, incompetent person. That’s been a struggle.

This leads nicely (if I do say so myself) to the second kind of tiredness. Looking ahead makes me emotionally drained. I have found this ironic, because I am actually half way done right now. This should be cause for celebration. I’m half done! But there’s been no streamers, no confetti, no balloons, and no cake – nor should there be. And I can’t keep myself from thinking I’m only half-way done. The road still looks long to me, and it makes me tired. I’m tired of hospital food. I’m tired of the hair loss. I’m tired of injections in my belly and spinal taps in my back. I’m tired of playing the role of sick person in my family. I’m tired of the weird routine I’ve established for my life and I’m tired of this ridiculous cancer.

Wow, I just reread my words and they sound a little heavy. I hope I don’t come across as an emotional wreck. I’d go back and delete half that stuff, but then I’d have to work at something else to write. And as I’ve explained, I’m too tired for that. Stephen asked what has changed the most – and it is the weariness.

He also asked about ministering to other families. I’m going to save that for another post. I have much to share about God’s blessings and provisions and how He has used others to minister to us.

For now, I’d like to make yet another request of ya’ll. I have a handful of verses that have been especially meaningful to me as they relate to tiredness/strength, etc. But I’d like to know from you…. what Scripture helps you the most when you are tired and you have a long road yet ahead?

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtW0MNI6m7E&feature=related

I am sure you have heard this...

Nope... not a verse - but this has helped me through many times... sometimes I need to just sit down along with a guitar and cry out to God.

Thanks for the poop acknowlegement...

Unknown said...

Good thing when we're tired and heavy burdened we have someone to lean on. You know the verse :) I'm sure you already thought of that, but your the toughest professor i know. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Weariness is a word I can relate to. My name is actually the Hebrew word for "weary," which does not seem to be a coincidence considering the depression problems I have suffered with in my life. The verses that I cling to, that keep me hopeful, that remind me that there is a reason for my struggles, are 2 Corinthians 12:7-10. I hope they can be a comfort to you as they have been to me. Also, there is a praise and worship song called "Hungry." There is a phrase in it that says, "I am weary, but I know your love does not run dry, so I wait for You..." This song gives me encouragment as well. I think it is a very personal song for people who truly are just feeling weary.

Anonymous said...

Aaron,
I realized that I've been reading your blog since I heard about the cancer, and have been praying for you in the feeble ways that I pray, but I hadn't let you know. In that way, it's somewhat voyeauristic to read your blog I guess. I've tried to share your weakness, but I haven't shared whatever strength I have to offer. So, wanted to write something and say to you that in some small way Anjie and I are standing with you.
Concerning tiredness and your question at hand, the verse (rather odd one) that has meant a lot to me is 2 Chron. 16:9. Don't read too far or it gets weird.
This is the one that I always whisper in the ear of deacon/minister ordainees. That's top secret of course.
Harland

Anonymous said...

Aaron,
My favorite chapter is Romans 8. Verse 18 is a great place to start--Paul says that our sufferings, even as bad as what you're going through, aren't even worth comparing to our future glory. Hard to imagine, but it's fun to try. I love the whole passage which climaxes with verses 38 & 39. I've been learning that we can get too familiar with passages like this that are quoted so often and that meditation and/or memorization can make them "sink in." And by the way, you don't need to apologize for not being bright & cheery--if you didn't have some lows throughout this battle than you would probably have a disorder.

Paul

andy titus said...

Psalm 121; Exodus 14:13,14; Matthew 11:28; 2 Thessalonians 2:16; Romans 15:4.
I also find much of my strength in song (bret that song was GREAT) or something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naajYZSbWdw&feature=related

OR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upGCMl_b0n4&feature=related

Anonymous said...

John 3:30 "He must increase, but I must decrease" I think can be applied to the physical because in our weakness we draw strength from God and He receives the glory. We love you, Sandy and Denny

Heather said...

Psalm 91:11-12: "For He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all ways- they will lift you up in their hands.

Psalm 3:3-4 (emphasis mine): "But you are a shield around me, Oh Lord. You bestow glory on me and LIFT UP MY HEAD. To the Lord I cry aloud and He answers me."

Isaiah 49:15-16: "I will not forget you. See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands."

Isaiah 41:10: "So do not fear, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Matthew 19:26- "Jesus looked at them and said "With man, this is impossible, but with God, all things are possible."

Jeremiah 32:17 (emphasis mine again)- "Ah, Sovereign Lord, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. NOTHING IS TOO HARD FOR YOU."

Praying for you today!

Anonymous said...

"...Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. THE LORD WILL FIGHT FOR YOU; YOU NEED ONLY TO BE STILL." (Exodus 14:13b-14, my caps)

Everyone has their own set of "Egyptians", but God continually has to remind me not to try and handle them with my own strength, and that sometimes the very BEST thing you can do is be still.

Cheryl Tenbrook

Jason, Lisa, Olivia & Annalie said...

"I lift up my eyes to the hills -- where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip -- he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Aaron will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over you -- the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm -- he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forever more."

WE ARE PRAYING FOR YOU! the Huebners

Anonymous said...

James 5 (Patience in suffering and having a prayer of faith)

Isaiah 40:28-31 (...Soar on wings like eagles...)

1 Peter 4:12-13 (...rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.)

1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because He cares for you.
(I sing this song a lot...until I finally let go of whatever is wrong and let God take care of it. "I cast all my cares upon You. I lay all of my burdens down at Your Feet. And anytime I don't know what to do, I just cast all my cares upon You.")

Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

My very favorites:

Proverbs 3:24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.

This one just makes me feel safe and protected. I love it.

Romans 8:26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.

That. Is. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

Psalm 40

I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.

I Peter 5:10

And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you stong, firm, and steadfast.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My 4 year old son had was diagnosed with Burkitts Lymphoma in July 2006. He was diagnosed as stage 4.

It is a rough ride with the chemo, keep strong and keep fighting and you will get through it. If there is anything positive about burkitts it is that is responds very quickly to Chemo.

If you ever have any question's please feel free to email me at bws1975@hotmail.com.

Anonymous said...

A -

You know me well enough to know I am the last person that can quote scripture, but just know that as awful as it feels... God has a purpose for it and it is showing all around you. Just look a the response of all these people who care for you. You are being used as an example, and one I am proud to try and follow. Half way = "Glass Half Full"

-sk

Anonymous said...

So, I realize someone else already mentioned these verses, but they are my favorite. Romans 8:38-39 are helpful during any time of life...it's just so comforting to know that absolutely nothing can take us away from God--not even your mean cancer!!!

Aaron New said...

You people are the BEST!

Craig Smith said...

Aaron

Gen. 27:11
Ezek. 23:20

Those verses help me immensely.

Anonymous said...

Aaron,

We all love you and your family so much! You will make it though this and the Lord is being glorified by your faith!

Anonymous said...

I get weary for many different reasons, but most of the time, it comes from a lack of understanding, not feeling content, or from worry. When weariness strikes I pray "Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in Your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in You all day long." Psalm 25:4-5
RA

Anonymous said...

Ps 139 is my all-time favorite. For me it simply says that there is nothing I can think, no place I can go, nothing I can feel, no pain I can have, no posture I can take, that I will not be held fast by His right hand! The darkness is as light to Him. All the days ordained for me were written in His book before one of them came to be.
dad

Anonymous said...

Alright, so I'm not a blogger but I find myself reading yours very often because I have your health on my heart. You challenge me spiritually and truthfully, I need to be challenged. Here's a verse I found and LOVED "The Message" version. They can poke you, prod you, drug you, but they can't eat you. Love you friend. Kami

Psalm 119:28 (The Message)
The Message (MSG)
25-32 I'm feeling terrible—I couldn't feel worse!
Get me on my feet again. You promised, remember?
When I told my story, you responded;
train me well in your deep wisdom.
Help me understand these things inside and out
so I can ponder your miracle-wonders.
My sad life's dilapidated, a falling-down barn;
build me up again by your Word.
Barricade the road that goes Nowhere;
grace me with your clear revelation.
I choose the true road to Somewhere,
I post your road signs at every curve and corner.
I grasp and cling to whatever you tell me;
God, don't let me down!
I'll run the course you lay out for me
if you'll just show me how.