Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I've Got a Fever...

Well, at least I did have a fever. It’s gone now. It’s been a rough couple of weeks – but many of you got that idea already from my recent posts. Last week my neck swolled up like I had the gout and I started running a fever. Running a fever when your immune system basically non-functioning is NOT good. Once the fever hit 101, my doctor admitted me to the hospital for some close monitoring and heavy duty antibiotics.

I am doing much better now. My fever has resolved and my neck is normal. My energy is good and appetite is returning. And I should get to go home very soon – as early as tonight – as long as some labwork returns OK.

I’ve been reminded lately of the value of laughter. Proverbs 17:22 says, “A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person’s strength.” So it is only fitting that I close with this funny and classic reference to someone else’s fever. For those unfamiliar with it – I wish you could see the whole skit, but apparently NBC won’t allow YouTube to post it.

5 comments:

Aaron New said...

OK, just to be clear, I know "swolled up" is not good English. I used it just to verify my residency in Arkansas.

And I don't even know if you can have gout in the neck.

andy titus said...

I was going to remark on the Red Neck vocabulary, but since you did I'll leave it alone.

NEVER QUESTION BRUCE DICKINSON!

One of my favorite SNL Skits! That and "Van down by the river."

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that "swolled up" was not good English.

You had better be careful, I referenced this skit once in a chapel I did and it didn't sit too well with a few folks. And by a few, I mean 1 person that shall remain nameless.

-The CBC Friendly Zeb

Heather said...

Aaron- so glad you are on the mend and headed home. We have prayed hard against that infection!

Wendi said...

OK, I have the the whole skit and it is halarious! Hope you are feeling better soon.