Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Monday, November 26, 2007

Random Observations from Thanksgiving

The end of the semester is here, and my blogging may slow down just a little bit. The final 3 weeks are always quite busy for me.

And even though today will be busy enough, I can’t help but post some random observations and thoughts from my Thanksgiving Break.


For years, psychologists have differentiated between a person’s chronological age (how old you really are) and mental age (at what average age you are mentally functioning). In fact, that’s part of the basic formula for figuring IQ scores. I think there needs to be a third category of age: "fossil fuel age." I can’t for the life of me figure out why people get consumed with the cost of gas as they get older. If it weren’t for the deep respect I have for people that are older than me, I might have tried to intervene like this in several conversations I overheard – “You know what? Gas is expensive. But nobody is going to get rich or go broke based on whether you save 3 cents a gallon. If you fill up with 15 gallons, you'll save a whopping 45 cents. If you do this once a week for a whole year, you'll save about 23 bucks. You all can stress over gas prices every day if it suits you. I’ll skip a meal at Chili’s once a year and call it even.”


I asked my 5 year old son what he was Thankful for this year. He gave a pretty typical list:
- my brother
- my mommy and daddy
- grandma and grandpa
- my clothes
- food
- candy
- paper
- God
- heaven
- everybody
- everything

I do like the last two additions. I guess Parker wanted to cover all his bases.

Then I asked my 2 year old. Here’s his list:
- God
- daddy
- my arms
- pencils
- holes
- eyeballs and eyes
- daddy’s watch
- heaven
- books
- lamps
- toys
- mommy

He cracks me up.


Funny comments of the week include:

“Man, I wish we could say ‘dang’ in my family!” by Parker to his cousin, frustrated by a video game.

“And, you know, I really like that Mozart!” by my grandma seeing some connection between Meerkat Manor (a show with a meerkat of that name) and Man vs. Wild (the show the rest of us were discussing).


I love my family. I love Shanda’s family, too. Can’t wait to see them all again at Christmas.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Your boys absolutely crack me up!! They are hilarious!

Did you really have to open up the gas prices can of worms? Yes, it is worth it go to the cheapest gas station to save several bucks.

Anonymous said...

I just like it when gas prices are under $3.00. For some reason even $3.01 causes me to stress. But you are right in the long run....does stressing about it make a "hill of beans" difference? No!
If we are really concerned we would stop driving so much.....but that doesn't happen does it? If it goes to $4.00 I'll probably car pool for a couple of weeks until I realize again that I really like being in charge of my own schedule and not have to think about other people's.
Your boys are a "hoot!"
Gotta love family, that is for sure!!!!