Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Friday, November 16, 2007

The Professionalizing of Christian Ministry

Those who have read my blog in the past know I’ve taken issue with a couple of things that John Piper teaches. He’s great – I’m just not his biggest fan. But this quote is brilliant:

We pastors are being killed by the professionalizing of the pastoral ministry. The mentality of the professional is not the mentality of the prophet. It is not the mentality of the slave of Christ. Professionalism has nothing to do with the essence and heart of the Christian ministry. The more professional we long to be, the more spiritual death we will leave in our wake. For there is no professional childlikeness; there is no professional tenderheartedness; there is no professional panting after God. But our first business is to weep over our sins. Is there professional weeping?”

I ripped off the quote from another website that has a
corresponding blog post. I’d encourage you to read it when you have time.

My intention isn’t to post this as a criticism of pastors from the sidelines. I think that the quote could just as easily be about the “professionalism of Christian counseling” (my own field). I may tackle that particular idea more fully later. For now, let’s consider both pastoral ministry and counseling under the umbrella of Christian ministry. What are your thoughts and observations about the professionalizing of Christian ministry?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the problems I have - and it may be more with the way Piper is interpreted than with what he has written - is the idea that setting boundaries in order to minister to one's own family can be viewed as being too professional.

If pastor-as-professional means being the CEO of a not-for-profit organization and not a shepherd, then I have no problem with your quote.

But if one defines pastoral - as opposed to professional - as having completely open boundaries, then I would have a problem.

Professional Christian counselors have an obligation to model a Christ-like life for their clients. And that means time for family, prayer, study, etc. And that means engaging in some form of management (which appears to be what the post you referenced decries).

Aaron New said...

Great thoughts, Bowden. Thanks for sharing. I understood Piper to be saying something a little different, however. (Perhaps that is because I haven't read this quote in its context).

I hear Piper describing professionalism as the opposite of "childlikeness... tenderheartedness... and panting after God." I think maybe Piper does have in mind something akin to the CEO mentality. I envision the Christian minister who is nice and shiny. Rather than being real, he maintains a facade of dignity, prestige, and... well... professionalism.

I am ALL for Christian ministers setting appropriate boundaries in their lives and for doing quality work. That sort of professionalism should always be encouraged. But professionalism that separates the minister from the common man and that prevents him from being authentic and genuine is a little too common.