Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Thursday, October 25, 2007

WWCND?

I have several friends and acquaintances who either hold a political office, will be running for a political office, or have worked for others in political offices. With my sincerest apologies to all of them, I must say that I generally avoid politics like the plague. I vote because I want to be a good citizen. But even that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don’t like politics and I tend to just ignore 99% of what’s going on in Washington.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” –Ernest Benn

But I’m beginning to take interest in the current Presidential campaigns. And that is thanks to none other than…..

..…Chuck Norris!

He weighs in on
Mike Huckabee for President. And I ask you – who wants to ignore Chuck?

It also seems that many other conservative Christian leaders are instead leaning toward supporting Mitt Romney – a Mormon. That’s interesting. And a little weird. An interesting blog thread on that issue can be
found here.

That’s it. No point to my post today. Just observations. (And I wonder… Who Steven Segal is endorsing?)

5 comments:

Craig Smith said...

The Right is in a quandry. They would LOVE to endorse Huckabee but they know that he will never EVER win the Presidency. Even Mike knows that. In fact, I have spoken with someone who works for Huckabee's campaign and has for a year or two. This person said the goal the entire time was to secure a bid for Vice President.

Huckabee understands his ceiling. And he realizes his worth as a Southern Christian who is outspoken on his beliefs. That is why he doesn't bad an eye when he says things like "I was a Baptist preacher" and "I don't believe in evolution because I believe in Jesus Christ." He knows that a Rudy or a Mitt or a Fred or a Ron or whoever needs a strong nod to the right and the south.

I think the right is rallying behind Mitt, as unpalatable as that may be, because the other guys are either not electable OR they are not going to win the family values debate.

Seriously, if Rudy gets the bid, he is such a social moderate that the family values plank of the platform will be downplayed. He has more busted marriages then the top three Democrat candidates combined. Another reason why you cannot argue family values. So without THAT air of moral superiority, the Right is left grasping at a Mormon straw.

But honestly, if Hillary DOES get the nod, the only Republican who has a chance at beating her is the one who could make it a subway election.

I would vote for Rudy. I will not vote for Mitt or Fred or John. And regardless of who gets the nod, Huckabee will be standing next to him raising his hand on the last night of the GOP National Convention.

I would think that as of about 2003 BOTH parties would like to amend the constitution about presidential requirements and limits. I would bet the GOP would love to change that rule about foreign born people being allowed to run so Arnold could make a dash at the White House.

And Democrats would like to delete the whole two term limits so they could drop Clinton back in office.

Just on a financial basis, helping dig a country out of debt, you certainly cannot knock Huckabee's record for what he did for Arkansas. Plus he pardoned Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones while he was Gov.

Bryan Cox said...

I am more worried about who Jack Bauer is endorsing. (or maybe he should just run for president mmmm)

Craig Smith said...

Tommy Tancredo has already inquired as to Jack's availability.

Of course, Fred Thompson still thinks Jack was the head vampire from The Lost Boys.

And Bushie remembers him being a doc from the old west.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aaron New said...

Anonymous,

I deleted the link to the video clip because there was some inappropriate language in it. You might want to give the readers a heads-up on that in the future.

AN