Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Friday, October 5, 2007

Meet Terry Kimbrow

Here is the first installment of introductions I’ll be posting periodically. I hesitate to call them interviews – that seems too formal. I simply enjoy getting to know people better and I’d like to share that experience with ya’ll. My only instructions to guests go something like this: “Feel free to answer the questions in any way you see fit. Your answers can be as short or as long as you’d like and you can be as serious or as light-hearted as you’d like.”

Terry Kimbrow is the President of Central Baptist College. Certainly there are others that know him better than I, but my admiration of him has quickly grown in my short time at CBC. He leads CBC with a passion and vision. He has a heart for the students here and goes out of his way to be accessible to faculty, staff, and students alike. It is readily apparent that he loves CBC, loves people, and loves his Lord and the Word.

I haven’t asked him, but I’m guessing he would be willing to answer a few questions if you have any.


(1) What part of your job is most rewarding?

Interaction with the students is highly rewarding though most of my job I find to be fulfilling. I also really enjoy seeing a well thought out plan come together and it is a joy to have some great employees in every area who let me share in that process.

(1b) What part is most frustrating?

Being misunderstood! Like all individuals in positions of leadership, I frequently make decisions and often the details will forever remain unknown and are often confidential. Plus, I deal with an abundance of tasks on a daily basis that no one knows about. Also, the demands of too many people wanting a block of my time can be draining.

(2) What is something else (not related to your job) that you are passionate about?

Teaching the Bible. For the past seven years, I have taught a Bible Study class of mostly young couples at my church, Antioch Baptist. For the past ten year, I have been actively engaged in teacher training and small group ministry equipping for churches, mostly on Saturdays.

On a lighter note, hunting and fishing. This is how I relieve stress. Depending on the season, I will either be on the lake or in the woods during my free time.

(3) What is one good book you’ve read lately and what made it so?

I am reading it now--John Maxwell’s newest book, “Talent is Never Enough.” I was privileged to hear Maxwell speak recently at New Life Church and he made the statement, “If I was a college or university president, I would require every incoming freshman to read my new book.” I thought that sounded like a sales pitch but it worked; I bought the book and have been amazed by the truths in it. The basic premise of the book is that we all know highly intelligent and talented individuals who are not successful. We also know normal, ordinary people with little or no talent who are highly successful. What is the difference? He calls it “Talent plus.” It reminds me of one of the quotes from a hero of mine, the late Dr. Adrian Rogers. He once said, and I will never forget, that “God takes ordinary people and does extraordinary things, through ordinary people, and gets the glory back to Himself.” That quote has echoed in my mind SO many times when I have been tempted to say to myself, “Who are you? You can’t do this!” Great book!

(4) What is something you know now that you wish you would have known when you were younger?

Compound interest.

(5) Describe someone you know personally that most admire, and why?

Former Arkansas Governor and now candidate for US President Mike Huckabee. Why? He stands on his convictions even when it is not popular or politically correct to do so. He knows what he believes and will not back down. I know him to be a man of ethics and a man of God.

(6) Describe something that has surprised you lately.

My impatience and intolerance with people. I am working on it with God’s help.

(7) Name one or two questions you are most eager to have answered once you arrive in heaven.

I don’t think I will have any questions in heaven.

(8) If you could share any one “life lesson” with a college student today, what would it be?

What is it that you love to do? Do it. Don’t be drawn by the world into making and spending money and thereby become a slave to a job that you hate or even just tolerate. Do what you love to do! Follow your passion!

3 comments:

david b mclaughlin said...

Yep. Compound interest.

Aaron New said...

"...know him better than I..."

"...know him better than me..."

For some reason, I can't figure out which is right. I gotta get me some gooder English.

Where's Henry????

Anonymous said...

I love this idea...Aaron! These "introductions" are going to be very encouraging and fun to read!