Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Books that Challenge

I appreciated Rachel’s thoughts on The Golden Compass yesterday. One thought in particular especially caught my attention. She said, “I hesitate to say that they shouldn't be read by anyone because I think reading things that challenge our beliefs can sometimes be a good thing….”

And my wheels started turning. There have been a handful of books I have read in my life that were completely contrary to my own beliefs and values in various ways. Others were controversial for different reasons (sensitive topics, explicit language, etc). And yet I am still a better person for having read them. They DID challenge me. I had to think. I had to look for underlying assumptions and philosophies. I had to work out practical implications of various ideas and concepts. It was tough to do at times, but it was all good for me.

I’m sure I could think of more, but a few books come to mind immediately:
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Walden Two by B.F. Skinner
Beyond Freedom and Dignity by B.F. Skinner
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

I wonder if any of you all have books like this. What books have you read that were difficult and/or contrary to your beliefs and values – and yet were good for you? Better yet, if possible, I’d love to hear what those books were about and why they were significant to you. If the topic takes off, I’ll come back and provide those descriptions for books on my list, too.

2 comments:

david b mclaughlin said...

i read Mein Kampf (sp?)

Anonymous said...

"This Present Darkness" -Frank Peretti
"Inside Out" -Larry Crabb
-Eric Hudson