Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Wimpy Athletes and Sissy Christians

I found this article the other day and couldn't help but share it..... Would love to hear your thoughts after reading it.

Wimpy Athletes and Sissy Christians
by Tim Ellsworth Date: Sep 7, 2007

JACKSON, Tenn. (BP)--One of the common myths that continue to persist about Christian athletes is that they’re not competitive enough, not aggressive enough, to succeed in the sports world.

A prime example is a recent story I read on mlb.com about Tampa Bay Devil Rays shortstop Ben Zobrist. The writer made a point to mention that Zobrist is a devout Christian, “which has prompted some to question his competitiveness,” the story says.

Let’s see here. Albert Pujols is a Christian. So is Tony Dungy. John Smoltz is, too. Oh yeah, and Sean Alexander. Lance Berkman, Bobby Bowden, Mariano Rivera, Dwight Howard, Joe Gibbs and many others -- nobody’s questioning their competitiveness because they are Christians.

While it seems like a silly question, there has to be a reason why these myths live on. Why is it that people unconnected with church and unfamiliar with Christianity believe that the Christian faith saps the competitiveness from athletes?

Perhaps there’s such a misconception about Christians being “soft” for the same reason that prompted David Murrow to write the book “Why Men Hate Going to Church.” Murrow’s conclusion is that “manly men” have all but abandoned the church because churches are predominantly catered to women.

“Tough, earthy, working guys rarely come to church,” Murrow writes. “High achievers, alpha males, risk takers, and visionaries are in short supply. Fun-lovers and adventurers are also underrepresented in church. These rough-and-tumble men don’t fit in with the quiet, introspective gentlemen who populate the church today.”

Murrow says this is the case because churches have over-emphasized certain characteristics that are typically feminine qualities. “Today, a good Christian is known mostly for meekness, sensitivity, passivity, and sweetness,” he writes. “This standard of Christian behavior is very tough on men (even those who are sold out to Jesus) while it’s easier for women to achieve.”

Murrow may be correct in his observation that church has become a place where men are uncomfortable. And if that’s the case, men have nobody to blame but themselves. They have abandoned churches for so long that it’s easy to see why church might seem more designed for women – because women are the ones who are there. Men who have failed to take the lead in churches have no right to complain that church isn’t designed for them.

Of course, lack of church attendance by men is only part of the problem. Too many fathers have washed their hands of their kids’ spiritual instruction, turning them over instead to the church for that task. If men won’t step up and take the responsibility for the spiritual welfare of their families, why should we expect them to step up and take responsibility at church?

I don’t agree with all of Murrow’s arguments. For example, I think his characterization of men who do go to church as “humble, tidy, dutiful, and above all, nice,” is a drastic generalization. In fact, I’d say that most of the men I know who are faithful church attendees don’t fit that description.

But Murrow’s underlying premise deserves some consideration, as there’s plenty of evidence that Christianity these days has indeed become something less than masculine. Churches too often stress emotions and “sharing your feelings,” something that’s anathema for most men. We sing songs with flowery language about coming to the garden alone, while the dew is still on the roses, and about falling in love with Jesus.

Fortunately, that’s not what Christianity is about. I have no interest in falling in love with Jesus. He is my sovereign king, not my wife. I’ve even heard some suggest that we need to “let Jesus make love to us.” That’s a description that simply churns my stomach, and one that is found nowhere in Scripture.

No wonder so many people question Christian athletes’ aggression and intensity, when language like this abounds in Christian circles. No wonder a lot of guys don’t want to come to church, if Jesus has to be their girlfriend. And no wonder so many men have a faulty view of Christianity as “too feminine” for them. If that’s what Christianity was about, I wouldn’t want to go to church either.

Tim Ellsworth writes this column from his home in Jackson, Tenn. Write to him at timellsworth@gmail.com or visit his blog at www.timellsworth.com for additional commentary on sports, Christianity, culture and politics.

10 comments:

Craig Smith said...

Comment was too long. Had to make it a post on my blog.

david b mclaughlin said...

...let Jesus make love to us

I can hardly stand to listen to praise and worship music because most of it sounds just like this.

if you are a bad person like me you are constantly snickering thru the lyrics of those songs.

absonjourney said...

I also liked and disliked the book by Murrow- but I will make this one observation- churches that cater to men's tastes in music, realtionship building, etc do attract more men without losing the ladies. Why? Because godly women are looking for manly men. And when the wife doesn;t have to fight her hubby to go to church, it makes a big difference.

Craig Smith said...

I've always renamed "In the Secret" as the Stalker God Song. I giggle all the way through that one most of the time. And while I have never literally sung of his love forever, I felt like there are times when we made a good run at it. And we HAD to be standing the entire time.

Abs makes a good point as well. But I would assume that any church or business that targets or caters to a specific demographic would be successful in reaching that. Which shows that to each his own.

I just wanna be there when Rugged Randy gets to heaven and Jesus hands him his quilting bag and harp.

david b mclaughlin said...

draw me close to you, never let me go..."

Anonymous said...

We all know this is not the first, nor will it be the last time we see a statement that Christianity is for wimps and the church is more suited to women than men. What are we as men doing to change that? I think most men will deal with a sissy love song is Christ is portrayed for who He really is. A man's man, who gave the ultimate sacrifice, His own life. It is easy for us to take the portrait of Christ we want not give a complete portrayal of who He really is.

Craig Smith said...

Yes Lord, yes Lord, yes yes Lord. Yes Lord, yes Lord, yes yes Lord. Yes Lord, yes Lord, yes yes Lord, amen.

That my friends is proof that there are STILL gifted lyricists writing praise songs today.

david b mclaughlin said...

craiger-that was fantastic. i thought about posting some more "passionate" lyrics but thought mr new might send me to monkey land for taking over his blog.

kmill-i'll tell you what i am doing. i am just going about my life being a guy and a christian. i can stand beards or plaid shirts and i dont like hunting. i think we have way too many sterotypes of what men are like. it may have worked for my grandpa but not me.

and for the love of everything holy will someone tell me why every church in america thinks a mens breakfast should be at 6 am on a saturday morning????????

i dont come to your mens meetings because I NEED SOME SLEEP! it has nothing to do with catering to me as a man.

david b mclaughlin said...

sorry-that was CANT stand beards etc...

Aaron New said...

"The Stalker God song"

"i dont come to your mens meetings because I NEED SOME SLEEP!"

You guys are too funny. And yet, still insightful. Seriously, thanks for contributing to my silly blog.