Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Friday, September 14, 2007

Important Names, part 1

I’ve been at the American Association of Christian Counselors (AACC) world conference this week (hence the absence of blog posts).

I’ve been inspired and I’ve learned a great deal from some great Christian authors and speakers this week. I’ll be blogging about some of those things in the future. But for now, let me make an observation on something else. I discovered that I am a little silly when it comes to my name.

We got name badges this week. They came attached to a clip that we wore around our necks. My badge was constantly flipping around. No matter how I situated the thing around my neck, it would always find a way to flip. It was mocking me, I tell you. I got obsessed with making sure it was turned the right way because I wanted people to be able to see my name. I was a nobody with my name turned around. But flip it over, and viola, I was a somebody. I was important. I had a name.

Then I started comparing my name badge to others. Some of them had Ph.D. next to their name. Dang it. I didn’t put Ph.D. next to my name. I almost thought about asking for a new name tag. After all, the thousands of folks at the conference should know that I am smart. I wanted to put a post-it note on my name badge with an explanation: “There should be Ph.D. next to my name here. I don’t want you to think I’m just some Joe who wandered in off the street. I’m smart. I’m important. Really. See – I have a Ph.D.”

I put my own name in the title of my blog.

I was glad to get a new name plate for me door once I got my Ph.D.

I am overly concerned that my business cards always look just right.

I often unnecessarily spell my name for people. Heaven forbid they spell “New” wrong. Or spell my first name with only one ‘A.’ Or even worse – shiver – spell my name ERIN.

Would you believe I even introduced myself to our new Missions professor and my new colleague as “Dr. New” last week? I immediately felt ridiculous and I quickly chalked it up to being in a rush and not paying attention to my words. (I don’t usually introduce myself like that to anyone but students. But I did in this case.)

I’m so stupid. Actually, if I’m honest with myself, I’m more than that. There is a part of me that is self-centered and proud. That’s not just stupid – it’s sinful. I don’t deny that all people have a natural desire for recognition. This desire may even be God-given; something built in us to move us towards the only one who can give us ultimate and eternal recognition. But there is only ONE name that is of any real importance.

God gave Jesus “the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow—of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth.” – Phil. 2:8

Father, forgive me for thinking too highly of my own name and neglecting the importance of yours.

No comments: