Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Important Names, part 3

I’m learning that moms and dads worry about their kids in different ways.

Here’s what my wife worries about:
- Will they be happy?
- What if something terrible happens to them?
- Are they growing up with good manners?
- Are they well-behaved in school and church?
- Will they always be safe?

Here is what I worry about:
- Will they play basketball, football, soccer, or golf?
- Or will they be four-sport athletes?
- Will they have pretty girlfriends/wives?
- Will they get into fights?
- If so, will they be able to pummel their foes like Muhammad Ali?
- Will they be leaders or followers?
- Will they be cool kids or nerdy kids?

OK. So I’m only half-serious. But just the other day, I did briefly wonder about what Parker will be like in school. He came up to Shanda and said, “Mommy, when you were a little girl in school, did you REALLY like it when the teacher called your name?” Shanda, being an honest person, told Parker that she loved it when teachers would call on her. Parker was glad to hear that. He said he really liked it, too. “It makes me feel happy when she calls my name in class. It makes me feel SMART.”

We ALL like it when other people know our names, don’t we? I stressed over whether my name tag was flipped around at the conference. Muhammad Ali beat a man mercilessly over his name. We all like it when our pastors, teachers, school presidents, community leaders, and cafeteria ladies know our names.

And God knows our names -- a simple truth many of us have known from our early Sunday school days. But let it sink in for a minute again. The Creator of the universe knows ME and He knows YOU and he calls each of us by name (John 10:3).

So it turns out my name is important after all, just not for any of the silly reasons I ever come up with. My name is important because the one with the “Name above all names” knows it. In a sense, we are all the Teacher’s pet.

Now if I can just get my sons work on their cross-over dribbles or their golf swings….

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Erin (hee hee),
When you grow up with a maiden name like Poskocil you don't always like it when people called your name because
1. they mispronounced it
2. you knew that they HAD to be calling on you because there are no other Poskocil's in the room
3. you were embarassed because you weren't paying attention and didn't know the answer to the question--not all of us are smart like the News

Joking aside, I have to say that I agree with you about being proud of our names. Once I got married I learned to miss the name that gave me such trouble all of my life because it was who I was and the family that I represented. I am now proud to be associated with the Kailey name. (except when my children are throwing fits in public)

Anonymous said...

I'll agree that it wasn't always fun being called on or introduced. "Your name is Tara, right?Wright...right...right...hahahaha" I never understood what was so funny, but people sure do get a kick out of it.
I'm sure that someday, my name will change and so I try to cherish what I have now... but for all of us oddly named people...maybe we should just go by numbers...wouldn't it be easier, and a lot less humiliating.

Craig Smith said...

Craig means a dweller of the crag - which is Welsh for a cave. So Craig is (Welsh) someone who lives in a cave.

Inspired choice mom and dad.

david b mclaughlin said...

David means "beloved."

Cant argue with that.