Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Moving On

But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on….

I openly acknowledge that I am taking these verses (Phil. 3:13-14) out of context. They are about salvation and spiritual maturation. But I have taken these words and made them my own as I recover from 6 months of cancer and chemo.

I’m moving on.

Don’t get me wrong – I still have a lot going on related to my cancer. I have weekly visits to do labwork. I’ll be seeing my doctor every two months for thorough checkups. I’ll be getting PET scans and CT scans done frequently. I am still relatively weak and I am in the long process of rebuilding my strength and stamina at the fitness center. My hair is just now coming back in (it looks fuzzy and gray right now). And on top of all that, I am participating in the grand waiting game. My doctor says that if my lymphoma is going to come back, it is likely going to come back in the first year, with a smaller chance in the second year. After two years, I can be pretty confident it’s gone for good. Although two years is not long for most cancer patients, it seems long to me.

But I’m moving on. These issues are no longer central issues of my life – they are peripheral issues. I refuse to let that two year waiting period hang over my head – causing me undue worry and stress. I’m moving on. Cancer and chemo were so much the focus of my existence for 6 months that I am glad to push them to the side now. They no longer get to define who I am. I’ve written about this “identity” conflict several times now and it’s the reason I took a break from blogging, to tell you the truth. I was tired of being the cancer-blogger guy. I’m moving on. If the cancer returns, it returns. But in the meantime, I’ll be living my life as if it’s gone.

So…. While this post has been about me and my cancer, future posts will likely be about other things, if I remember how to write about them. Stay tuned if you are still interested.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I want you to know i saw your 2 youngest children when Kayla was watching them here at the school. Cooper actually liked me however Tanner ran far away saying "i'll get away if thats the last thing i do" i suppose i scare him. :) Glad your back!

Anonymous said...

Right on A. I like the attitude. Good for you. -sk

Anonymous said...

Great to have you back! Can't wait to start hearing your take on "life".
Like your attitude also. You've been a great example over the months.

K.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're back online. RM

Bryan Cox said...

Does this mean you're back to failing all calvinist! I am excited.

P.S. To any idiots who read this and decide to start a petition or something, I'm joking (sorta).

Unknown said...

potential non-cancer related blog topics:
1. why john locke is the new "others" leader
2. what exactly happened to claire? and why is she with christian shepherd?
3. the complete and total dedication (aka "obsession) LOST fans have to the show
4. just how realistic is the idea of time travel?
5. why hasn't hurley lost any weight after being on that island for so long?!

Bryan Cox said...

1. No Idea
2. No Idea and I don't know
3. I am devoted but I have no theories.
4. Very just ask Hawking's.
5. Leave the fat guy alone!

Anonymous said...

Aaron you really need to move on to another blog! I have people asking me everyday when you are going to start writing again.
Love you much!
Mom

Peas on Earth said...

Good to see you back, Aaron. Give Shanda and the boys love from us!

Anonymous said...

Dr. New, when's the next post?

Anonymous said...

amen to that last post.
K

Anonymous said...

Amen to the last post. Update us please!!!
K