Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Friday, May 23, 2008

Who's Your Daddy? (part 2)

In an earlier post, I summarized 10 common pictures of God, according to Larry Crabb. I concluded by stating I would share my own picture of God.

OK. So here it is. In my thoughtless and weaker moments, God seems to me to be a bit like Simon Cowell.

Eewww. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

If I’m not careful, I tend to look at life as a kind of performance – on stage for everyone to see. And while most of my friends and family appreciate me and are cheering me on, a few people in this world would like to see me fail. Everyone can have their own opinion of my life performance, but the only one that really matters is the judge. Like Simon, God seems to be from a foreign country sometimes. He says and does things that I don’t always understand. And while he is close in proximity to me, he seems rather impersonal. He expects perfection and as a rule he only offers corrections and rebukes. But every once in a while, if I do really well and I’m really lucky, God will smile and say nice things about my performance.

It’s not that I worry about my life being an audition to determine whether I make it into heaven or not. I am secure in my salvation. But I sometimes have the feeling that God looks down on my pitiful life, shaking His head at how much of a mess my performance is. When I’m careless, God seems to be nothing really more than my talent judge. Obviously, I’m thankful that God is much more than that.

Postscript: In a very weird coincidence, Tanner announced today that he thought “that guy” on American Idol looked like Jesus. We couldn’t tell if he meant Robert Downey, Jr. (“the guy that almost fell off the side of the stage”) or if he meant Ryan Seacrest (“that guy who announces the singers”). In either case, both Tanner and I have some issues with American Idol taking on too much spiritual significance in our lives. Good thing this season is over.

3 comments:

david b mclaughlin said...

1-i love simon cowell

2-im happy david cook won

3-i think the guy your kid was talking about was mike myers playing the guru.

Jenni said...

Aaron...
FINALLY!!! I get it!! Your posts are usually way too deep for me. It's nice that you brought it down to my level for once. See, you made a perfectly good comparison of God and Simon Cowell without having to use all of your big words. Hee hee.

You could use this reality theme and run with it. OR I may steal the idea for my blog.

Aaron New said...

David,
About #3 - The same thing occured to my wife later that evening. We checked with Tanner - and yep he was talking about the guru.

Nice catch.