Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Monday, May 5, 2008

Lessons from Toad Suck Daze (part II)

For this week, I'll be reposting some material of the past year. (I would call it the "best of" but that assumes I've actually had some good material.) You can chalk this week up to (1) being lazy and unoriginal, (2) being swamped with projects and final exams to grade, or (3) sleep deprivation from lil' Cooper being up at all hours of the night. You choose.

Today's post is from a year ago - after Toad Suck Daze in 2007. But I had many the same observations this year.

I worked at a booth at Toad Suck on Sunday morning for
Life Choices. (There’s a plug for you, Maria!) While at the booth, I heard this comment from a dad as he led his family through a downtown street. For some reason, it caught me really funny and I nearly laughed out loud as they passed by.

"Coltuhn!! Give yur turtle to yur sissy so you can eat yur pickle!”

This little kid had a box in one hand (with a hole in the top and a turtle inside) and a jumbo pickle in the other. He was struggling mightily to manage both of them at the same time.

You see all kinds of people at events like Toad Suck. For example, over the weekend, I saw……
Some people wearing flip-flops, some wearing combat boots.
Some people with long hair, some people with no hair.
Some people in motorcycle gangs, some people in scrapbooking clubs.
Some people who smoke, some who don’t.
Some people who liked the Bret Michaels concert, some who liked Michael English.
Some people with kids, some people without.
Some Republicans, some Democrats.
Some people with lots of tattoos, some without.
Some people with lots of teeth, some without.
Some people who appreciate good hygiene, some people who don’t.
Some people who appreciate fried Oreos, some people who don’t.
Some people lots of money, some people without much money at all.
Some people who were like me, some people not so much.

Lesson #2 from Toad Suck Daze = God must value and enjoy variety in His creation. So should I.

No comments: