Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Putting My Sons to Work

For reasons yet unknown, Shanda and I have settled on names for our boys that reflect occupations. Parker = a park keeper. Tanner = a leather worker. Cooper = a barrel maker. Dads always have dreams for their sons and what they will actually become someday. I’m no exception. However, while their namesake occupations are valuable, I have something else in mind.

I really want my sons to be soldiers, athletes, or farmers.

Someone may need to drive by my house to pick my wife up off the floor. (She reads, but never comments.) Let me explain….

Soldiers are fighters. Their focus is on completing their missions. They are motivated by a desire to please their commanding officer and to protect what is precious. Soldiers hate being passive. I want my boys to be like that.

Athletes are competitors. Their focus is on knowing and following the rules of the game. They are motivated by a desire to win a prize and they hate quitting. I want my boys to be like that, too.

Farmers are hard workers. Their focus is on planting seeds. They do the best they can and then leave the rest to God. They are motivated by a desire to reap a harvest someday. Farmers hate (and cannot afford) laziness. And I want my boys to be like that, too.

You may have already detected the spiritual applications of these occupations – some of them are rather obvious. Paul has this fatherly advice for Timothy.

“You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others. Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No one serving as a soldier gets involved in civilian affairs—he wants to please his commanding officer. Similarly, if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not receive the victor's crown unless he competes according to the rules. The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops. Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this.” – 2 Timothy 2:1-7

I hope I give my sons similar advice as they grow up.

HT:
Dr. Dale Wicker

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want my sons to become Jedi Masters. -Zeb

Anonymous said...

I'll check on Shanda, but considering the application, I'll bet she's nothing but proud. You're a great dad and a great husband, Aaron. We're excited to welcome Cooper into the world alongside you guys!
Love, Heather

Jenni said...

I thought Tanner said he was a nudist?

Unknown said...

Well, if it doesn't work out like you planned, they can always work for Silver Dollar City! They'll fit right in. ;)