Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Knockoffs, part 3

Nobody cares about some old, strange Egyptian dude?? That’s OK. I’m accustomed to hearing crickets in the background of my life.

Knockoffs, part 1 – Sometimes it is a really bad idea for Christians to borrow and use stuff from the secular world around us.

Knockoffs, part 2 – Sometimes it is appropriate. Even God saw fit to include borrowed secular stuff in His word.

So how do we know when we should or should not borrow and use secular words, ideas, and products? Here are a few thoughts. But hang with me – my train of thought is getting ready to take a detour.

Howard Gardner is a brilliant scholar at Harvard and is most well known for his work in the area of “multiple intelligences.” He has many important things to say about how we should measure and develop intelligence as well as how we ought to be educating our children. Regarding curriculum, Gardner says specific topics make little difference. Rather, as a rule, we ought to focus teaching our children about issues of truth, beauty, and goodness. This isn’t the focus of Gardner’s work, but I remember hanging on those words as I read them years ago.

The true, the beautiful and the good.

I think that could serve as a pretty good standard to use in judging which secular material to borrow and which to leave alone. As we attempt to connect with and communicate the gospel to an unbelieving world – let’s borrow the stuff that is true, beautiful, and good.

Let’s find, understand, and apply truth wherever it is found. In my own field of psychology and counseling, there are too many findings supported by scientific data for me to just ignore. Even when non-Christians stumble across truth, we should recognize and make use of it.

Let’s appreciate and incorporate beauty wherever it is found. Artists and musicians may not give credit their Creator, but that’s doesn’t mean we don’t have to.

And let’s recognize, support, and participate in goodness wherever it is found. There are many worthwhile activities and organizations that we should value despite their non-Christian origins or lack of explicitly Christian messages.

I wonder if this strikes a chord with anyone or seems useful to anyone else but me. But it seems to be helpful in judging the appropriateness of some Christian knockoffs.

Like Christian breath mints. Are they true, beautiful, or good? I think not. But is it OK for me to appreciate Eric Clapton? Probably.

Rather than making my own list of secular things that are either true, beautiful, or good, I’d like you to offer your own suggestions. I’m nervous to make that kind of request – I wonder if I can hear the crickets warming up again. But I’m asking anyway… Can you think of secular things that are worth appreciating, borrowing, using, and participating in because they are true, beautiful, and/or good? (Extra credit will be given if you can give an example of each.)

3 comments:

Craig Smith said...

There are all sorts of groups that are secular in nature but give back to the community. Girls and Boys Clubs, Optimists Clubs, Heifer International etc.

There are social groups which provide positive social interaction and growth (do I owe anyone gratuity for using that phrase Dr. New?) such as Lions, Rotarians and the like.

Authors outside of the church world can provide almost-miraculous words of help and hope - Marcus Buckingham, Warren Buffet.

And I am convinced God can speak through any channel, and he can speak powerfully through music. Here are some great songs that reveal a more powerful message than many Christian songs:
- Paul McCartney's "Follow Me," "Too Much Rain" and "Motor of Love"
- Ray Charles's "Sinners Prayer"
- John Fogerty's "I Will Walk With You"
- Th' Legendary Shack Shakers's "Born Again Again"

Craig Smith said...

Incidentally, here is another music tip for you from me: I am addicted to two groups right now - The Derek Trucks Band and Th' Legendary Shack Shakers.

Check out anything from DTB's Songlines or Live at Georgia Theater albums and the Shack Shakers best for me are their songs:
"Born Again Again"
"Bottom Road"
"Iron Lung Oompah"
"Ichabod!"
"Pinetree Boogey"
"Agony Wagon"
"CB Song"

Craig Smith said...

Both of those groups are secular - even though a former Ragamuffin is in the Shack Shakers.