Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Getting Fired

Giant sequoias are enormous trees. In fact, I’m told they are the largest living things to ever inhabit the earth. They grow to over 300 feet tall, over 40 feet in diameter and can live for over 3000 years. Their root systems can spread out over half an acre. That’s impressive.

But giant sequoias have difficulty reproducing. Seeds are trapped inside the cones, which stay attached to the tree without opening for up to 20 years. Trapped, that is, unless subjected to wildfire.

When a wildfire burns around giant sequoias, hot air rises and dries out the cones – allowing them to release the seeds. The fire also burns off the top layer of soil below and adds nutrients most favorable for giant sequoia seeds to germinate.

Giant sequoias need the fire in order to grow.

Maybe now I’ve
found a metaphor that works.

In his letter to the Romans, Paul says we need the fire, too. It’s amazing how much more sense this makes to me now compared to just 4 months ago. Here’s Paul’s formula…

1 – We have to suffer in order to develop perseverance.
2 – We have to develop perseverance in order to develop character.
3 – We have to develop character in order to live a life of hope.
(See
Romans 5:3-4)

I’m just glad I know the Refiner.

5 comments:

Aaron New said...

Thanks, Hogue, for a good lesson on Sunday!

David Gibbs said...

God bless you, Aaron. Jean and I continue to pray as we stay updated. Thanks for blogging even when exhausted, your perspective shines a bright light on the reality of the road less traveled.
David

Aaron New said...

David! Great to hear from you, man. Thanks for the kind words. Tell Jean I said hello!

Anonymous said...

aaron, your mom told me that you are in the hospital but haven't started round 6 yet. Sorry your are there for an extended time. Praying you will be out and home soon. I love your posts and want you to know they really make me think.
Levy reader

Heather said...

Aaron- We are so sorry for the "fire" that you are going through...but you are right. God will and is using it.
Praying for you!