Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Random Observations from the Past 2 Weeks

Have you ever heard of a baby’s umbilical cord wrapping around his/her neck during delivery? It usually isn’t that big of a deal as doctors know how to unravel that thing in a heartbeat. But it DOES have to be addressed very quickly. Because the cord that is designed to sustain life can actually become a noose, strangling the life out of a baby. I’ve discovered that apron strings are like that, too. Some parents choke the life out of their kids with their apron strings. I’m thankful for a wife that doesn’t do that.

If you use the word “crap” in a pseudo-whisper during a funeral service eulogy, you might get a few chuckles from those in attendance. And you might hear the pastor from his little pew say, “I heard that!” – getting ever more chuckles. (Thanks for the laughs Grandma.)

I have often told my students that if you say anything with enough confidence, people will believe you. I have proven this false. If you go on a father/son fishing trip, you better know your angling lingo. If someone asks, “What are you fishin’ with?” and you say, “oh, you know, some spinner croppy with weighted jelly jigs,” real fishermen will know you are full of stink bait no matter how confident you say it.

The best father’s day present is hearing your kids say, “Dad, you are the best daddy ever.”

I’m going to be taking a break from blogging for a couple of weeks this summer. Please come back and visit then! You might want to visit the blogs I read on a relatively regular basis – see links at the right. Be sure to check out
Craig’s latest post in particular to give you some perspective on father’s day.

See you in a couple of weeks!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Aaron,
I am on a blogger's strike. No more comments on your blog until I get a shout out on your blog.

On a Side Note...