Introduction

Welcome to “Nothing New.” The goal of my blog in the past has been to stimulate discussion about all things related to CBC, the Christian life, and the world at large. But it has recently been hijacked by my cancer and treatment. This means I have to eat some crow (which I hate) because early on I boldly claimed I would not allow my condition to take center stage in my life.

But it is taking center stage on my blog – for a while. I am rather torn about this development. I am uncomfortable making this all about me – because it’s not. It is strangely therapeutic for me to blog about this, however, and I cannot express even a fraction of my appreciation for everyone who reads and leaves their funny, weird, and /or encouraging words in comments and emails.

So please join with me in dialogue. I always look forward to reading your comments. (If you'd like to follow my cancer journey from day 1, please go to my post on 6/25/08 - Life Takes Guts - in the archives and follow the posts upwards from there.)

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Life Takes Less Guts

I’m a little uncomfortable making my condition the focus of too many blog posts. But several people have asked that I keep the blog updated periodically so they can know how to pray, etc. I have appreciated those encouraging words and prayers so I suppose in the short-term, as things are more urgent, I’ll post on my condition more often than usual. This means the content of Nothing New will be taking a detour from normal content more frequently.

This week has been chaotic, to say the least. Please read my last post and the comments that follow to get up to speed. After that, here’s the latest: The preliminary results are in from the colonoscopy biopsies. I do have a tumor that is cancerous. It is not the “normal” type of colon cancer, however. It is a lymphoma. Lymphomas can occur just about anywhere in the body, really. Mine just happened to show up in the colon. It is rare to occur this way, though. From what Shanda and I can tell from a little research, only about 0.5% of all colon cancers are lymphomas.

As such, things are a little up in the air about what is the standard treatment procedure. I will very likely undergo surgery to remove the part of my colon with the tumor – early next week. Then I will likely receive chemotherapy after that. This is all just a bit tentative, though, as my GI doctor and my surgeon have asked that I see an oncologist this week to get his opinion on the best course of treatment.

That’s the short story. Thanks for all who have offered kind and encouraging words the last week. And thank you for your prayers. They are much appreciated. I’ll update again as it seems appropriate.

7 comments:

Darryl McPhate said...

I found your blog and thought I might read a bit before leaving a comment...that would be unlike me, however,I did. I really have enjoyed some of your thoughts and the comments left by others. I must tell you that I admire your thoughts on your "guts" series and the entire Mcphate family is praying hard for you.....ps...baby wipes can become your best friend.

Anonymous said...

Andrew and I want you to know we will be praying for you and your family. Also, I very much admire your attitude in dealing with all this.
With Prayer
Elizabeth & Andrew Gunnels

Anonymous said...

Please know you are in our thoughts and prayers. God is great and He will sustain you during this time.
Mitch and Kim Ward

david b mclaughlin said...

wow. we'll be praying for you!

dm

Craig Smith said...

Prayers all around. Of course, most of mine just bounce around the room.

Anonymous said...

"Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ."
My prayer for you and your family is Grace & Peace, much the same as Paul greeted his brothers & sisters in his letters. Grace for the tough times and decisions ahead, Peace that overwhelmes when none can be found elsewhere. The wife & I will be praying for you and your family.
Andy Titus

Bryan Cox said...

Heavy Doc...Me and Natalie will be in prayer.